The all-in-one video-over-IP solution.
V__link4 — the way to transport production-quality video over IP networks.
Conceptually, the V__link4 is designed to provide a one-box-solution for all the requirements of video and audio signal transport and processing. It includes everything from Video-over-IP coding to various monitoring and processing tools. All designed for one purpose: to provide a tool that increases the flexibility of any broadcast application, while saving valuable rack-space, set-up time and production costs. With its virtual cabling capability, V__link4 immediately brings IP infrastructure advantages and cost savings, providing an unparalleled degree of flexibility and scaleability.
Signal contribution and remote production: For realizing tomorrow’s visions already today.
With the performance and maturity of today’s IP network technology, video-, audio- and control-over-IP are becoming the solution of choice for many applications. In remote live production, which is increasingly regarded as one of the next major steps in the evolution of broadcast production, IP is becoming a fundamental requirement. Getting reliable, low latency and high-quality video from venues back to studios at reasonable cost is an absolute necessity for this. But also in “classic” applications like video contribution from a stage-box or a stadium to an OB truck or an International Broadcast Center, IP technology provides economic and operational advantages.
The Lawo V__link4 is the ideal tool for achieving this vision of IP-based broadcast production today. The device combines a fully bi-directional, four-channel Video-over-IP interface, four local SDI inputs and outputs, along with the processing tools usually needed when contributing video and audio to a broadcast production.
The most important highlights - Everything at a glance
- Multiple Video-over-IP Encoding and Decoding: 4x Raw/DiracPro; 4x JPEG2000** (multicast/unicast); parallel encoding only: 4x MJPEG multicast, 4x H.264 unicast***)
- Integrated switch fabric, switching capacity 40 Gbps, 2x 10 Gbit Ethernet and 4x 1 Gbit Ethernet (2x incl. PoE)
- Frame synchronization for each channel
- Frame Phasing, Line Phasing
- Variable audio and video delays for each channel
- Embedding and de-embedding incl. SRC for each channel
- RGB Color Correction & Proc Amp for each channel*
- Two Surround-to-stereo Downmixers per Embedder
- Dolby® E Auto Aligner
- Quadsplit Multiviewer*
- Waveform and Vectorscope display*
- Timecode Insertion, Test Pattern Generator and Video ID Generator for each channel
- Timecode Generator
- Sync Generator
- AV Sync Measurement*
* optional feature
** When working with 3G signals, 2x J2K Encoding /Decoding
*** With first release up to 2x H.264 Encoding
The Lawo V__link4 provides four 3G / HD/ SD SDI inputs and four 3G / HD / SD SDI outputs for interfacing to external video equipment. The device is designed to convert these signals into IP streams and vice versa. These streams can be transported via standard Layer 3 IP LANs or WANs. The IP-based approach allows easy signal routing via the configuration software or via external master control systems, e.g. VSM. No rewiring is needed as long as all devices are connected to the network. Since the device is based on a real network technology with multi-cast capability, it allows easy transmission of signals to multiple outputs within the network.
The V__link4’s coding engines are designed to meet the highest demands in video quality and signal transport reliability. Port redundancy with hitless merge switching and robust J2K
codec ensures signal availability and quality. Format and quality of the IP video streams can be configured individually to meet the optimal ratio between picture quality, latency and bandwidth. The 6 Ethernet ports are connected to an internal switch allowing to “tunnel” through the 10GBit any IP traffic such as camera control, RAVENN A streams or even office and internet IP traffic.
Supported video transport modes:
- Raw mode for transparent transport of uncompressed, full production quality video with the lowest latency. SMPTE 2022-6**** compatible. Full code stream bit rates: HD 1.5 Gbps, 3G 2.97 Gbps
- Ultra low latency mode for transporting production quality video with ultra low latency DiracPro Codec, compression ratio adjustable between 2.5 :1 and 4 :1, code stream bit rates: HD 500 M bps – 312.5 M bps, end-to-end delay incl. encoding and de-coding < 25 video lines
- Low latency mode** for transporting production quality video with very low latency. JPEG2000 Codec, compression ratio adjustable between 5:1 and 20 :1. 10 :1 J2K is considered to be visually lossless, code stream bit rates: 250 M bps – 62.5 M bps, end-to-end delay incl. encoding and de-coding < 4 frames. Following VSF TR01 recommendation.
- MJPEG mode for monitoring and IP-TV applications. MJPEG Encoder, full code stream bit rates typ. 50 M bps, end-to-end delay with MJPEG viewer < 6 frames
- H.264 mode*** for internet and mobile distribution. (H.264 Encoder, full code stream bit rates typ. 1.5 M bps – 12 M bps)
** When working with 3G signals, 2x J2K Encoding /Decoding
**** without FEC
IP signal routing: With the ease of a mouse-click.
The V__link4’s stream director software is designed for the convenient management of V__link4’s video streams. The software is a Java™-based application, compatible with any computer with a Java™ Runtime environment such as Windows, Mac OSX or Linux. It features an elaborated auto-discovery mode, which automatically detects all available V__link4 devices within the network. The routings are configured intuitively via drag-and- drop menu. Lawo’s virtual cabling approach allows easy reconfi guration without the need to touch any physical
cables. For convenient monitoring dire ctly on the configuration PC, a RAVENNA Player software for audio monitoring / prelisten and a MJPEG Player sof tware for video monitoring complements the package.
Powerful tools for video contribution
- Video / Audio Router provides an internal 8 x 8 video routing matrix (4x SDI + 4x IP) and a 384 x 384 audio routing matrix.
- Internal switch with 2x 10G Ethernet and 4x 1G Ethernet ports (2x PoE) for any network application.
- IP streaming engine for video and audio signals with raw format video encapsulation (SMPTE 2022-6).
- Sync-Generator for precise clocking of broadcast infrastructures.
- Frame-Synchronizer for syncing incoming independent free running signals to the same reference.
- Variable Video & Audio Delays for compensating latencies and lip-sync matching between incoming or outgoing audio (up to 320 ms delay) and video (up to 8 frames delay) signals. In Delay Auto Mode the audio delay can be set to automatically follow the video delay.
- (De-) Embedding with SRC to embed, de-embed and shuffle any of the 16 audio channels within the 8 SDI input/output streams simultaneously. Audio interfacing to mixing consoles or external audio routers via MADI and RAVENNA.
- Dolby E® Auto Aligner to automatically adjust the timing of Dolby streams.
- Surround Downmix for providing two automated Lawo-quality 5.1 / 7.1 to stereo downmixes per embedder.
- Timecode Insertion provides selectable ATC LTC / VITC1 / VITC2 insertion from an input signal or free run mode or from internal Timecode Generator.
- Test Pattern and Video ID Generator provide video ID insertions (text, source, date, timecode, time of day) and color bar test pattern as well as a selection of audio test
tones and AV Sync test pattern.
- Thumbnail Previewing to provide motion previews of video signals. The thumbnails are available via IP and can be displayed on the V__link 4 GUI, external master control systems or PCs.
- Dirac PRo and Jpeg 2000 CODECS for production quality, bandwidth-reduced, low latency IP streaming (suitable for multiple coding generations).
- MJPEG and H.264 ENCODER for IP monitoring applications.
- Quadsplit Multiviewer provides a high quality video and audio monitoring solution with true peak & peak metering, UMD and tally support via the unit’s MV video outputs (BNC / Display Port), displaying up to four video sources at the same time.
- Waveform and Vectorscope Displays enable measuring and testing of video signals and evaluation of video adjustments processed within the V__link 4.
- RGB & YUV Color-Correction and Proc -Amp to adjust the video signal to specific color requirements. High-quality algorithms guarantee perfect video signals.
- AV Sync Measure ment is a high-end measurement tool for managing the precise synchronization of audio and video signals.
Intuitive device configuration
Like the Lawo V__pro8, also the V__link4 provides three convenient ways to control the device:
- Web-GUI. Easy-to-understand HTML 5-based touch screen interface with live video monitoring that runs directly within the web browser. The GUI enables the operator to access all V__line devices from anywhere within the network.
- Ember+ Control. The Ember+ protocol support enables the device to be controlled by external master control systems like BFE's KSC, Axon's Cerebrum or LSB's Virtual Studio Manager. This allows the building of broadcast installations with an integrated user interface.
- The optional V__fp1 hardware control panel for direct configuration features a high-res OLED color display for showing the configuration menu and real-time viewing of video sources and audio metering, headphones output for audio pre-listen as well as ten quick selection buttons for direct source switching.
- Video Signal Input/Output: 4x 3G/HD/SD-SDI inputs via BNC connector, 4x 3G/HD/SD-SDI outputs via BNC connector, 1x 3G/1080i MV/QS output via BNC, DisplayPort for local MV/QS monitoring
- Video Reference Signal Input/Output: BB/Tri-Level, WordCLK input via BNC connector, Loop thru, WordCLK, BB/Tri-Level output via BNC connector, IP
- Video Standards:
2.97Gbps Video Standards (1080p):
1080p 60Hz SMPTE-424M, 425M Level A & Level B
1080p 59.94Hz SMPTE-424M, 425M Level A & Level B
1080p 50Hz SMPTE-424M, 425M Level A & Level B
1.485Gbps Video Standards (HD):
1080i 60Hz SMPTE-274M(4),-292M(D)
1080i 59.94Hz SMPTE-274M(5),-292M(E)
1080i 50Hz SMPTE-274M(6),-292M(F)
1080p 30Hz SMPTE-274M(7)-292M(G)
1080p 29.97Hz SMPTE-274M(8)-292M(H)
1080p 25Hz SMPTE-274M(9)-292M(I)
1080p 24Hz SMPTE-274M(10)-292M(J)
1080p 23.976Hz SMPTE-274M(11)-292M(K)
720p 60Hz SMPTE-296M(1),-292M(L)
720p 59.94Hz SMPTE-296M(2),-292M(M)
720p 50Hz SMPTE-296M(2),-292M(M)
270Mbps Video Standards (SD):
576i 16:9 and 4:3 SMPTE-259M(C)
480i 16:9 and 4:3 SMPTE-259M(C)
- Video Reference: Analog Genlock High definition tri-level sync SMPTE-274M/296M or SD 1V BB SMPTE-170M/318M or SDI or IP-VidStream, IEEE1588 PTPv2+VideRef (RV or SMPTE2059*)
- Return loss: SD: > 15dB; HD: > 15dB; 3G-HD: >15dB 5MHz-1.485GHz, >10dB 1.485GHz-2.97GHz
- Cable length: SD: >350m (using Belden1694A), HD: >180m (using Belden 1694A),
3G-HD: >120m (using Belden1694A)
- Video Resolution: 10 bit 4.2.2
* future software release
- Audio Signal Input/Output: 2x MADI / AES10 optical in / out via LC connector front (redundant mode selectable); SDI embedded Audio via BNC connector, Ethernet
- Audio Reference Signal Input/Output: BB/Tri-Level, WordCLK input via BNC connectors, WordCLK output via BNC connectors
- Audio Standards: SMPTE 299 / 48, MADI / AES10, RAVENNA / AES67
- Audio resolution: 24 bit
- ATC (LTC. VITC1, VITC2) SMPTE12M-2, Binary group data SMPTE 309, AFD SMPTE2016, Closed-Caption SMPTE334, VBI data services /DTV descr. SMPTE334, Source-ID OBS-special, Dolby E Meta data SMPTE2020 (more on request)
- Gigabit Ethernet: 4x RJ45 100/1000Base-T, 2x POE, 2+2 redundant operation selectable*
- 10G Ethernet: 2x SFP+, redundant operation selectable*
- Protocols: IPv4/UDP/TCP/RTP/RTCP, ARP, RSTP, LLD P, IGMPv2, DiffservTOS, IEEE1588 PTPv2 (transparent clock)
- Switching capacity: max. 40Gbps, video & audio content streaming max. 10Gbps
*future software release
- Video encapsulation (10 bit 4:2:2): Raw/Uncompressed or DiracPro-LL* compressed encoding and decoding (SMPTE2022-6 vs. RV*); JPEG2000 encoding and decoding (VSF-TR01 vs. RV*)
- Seamless protection switching (Hitless Merge, compliant with SMPTE2022-7)*
- Raw encoding & decoding: 4x video encoding bitrates 2.5 Gbps, 1.25 Gbps; latency < 1 line
- DiracPro LL encoding & decoding: 4x video encoding ratio typ. 2.5:1 – 4:1; bitrates typ. 3G: 1 Gbps – 625 M bps, HD: 500 M bps – 312.5 M bps; latency < 25 lines
- JPEG2000 encoding & decoding: 4x with HD/SD-SDI, 2x with 3G-SDI; video encoding ratio typ. 5:1, 10:1, 20:1; video only encoding bitrates up to 250 M bps; latency 1-2 frames at encoding, 0.5-1 frame at decoding
- MJPEG encoding (8 bit 4:2:2): 4x video encoding with stereo audio; bitrates no constant bitrate, constant quality level; latency < 2 frames
- H264 Encoding (8 BIT 4:2:0): 2x** video encoding with stereo audio; encoding bitrates 1.5 mbps – 12 mbps
- Thumbnailing & PPM: input/output JPEG thumbnails and PPm data
- Audio Encapsulation: RAVENNA audio streams (encoding AM824, decoding L16, L24, AM824); Encoding bitrates stream dependant; Latency synchronous operation < 2msec
- AV Sync (Audio/Video): synchronous operation < 2msec
- Video/Audio Output Synchronization: Genlocked to external clock reference, genlocked to IP PTP master clockbased reference, genlocked to SDI or IP input
- Latency: video processing latency: max. 100 pixels; QuadSplit monitoring: 1 frame; audio latency (SRC disabled, synchr. operation): < 2 ms
* future SW release
** 4x future SW release
Management and Monitoring
- Protocols: HTTP, SNMPv1, Ember+
- User Interfaces: Embedded HTML5 user interface; StreamDirector: JAVA™ application
- 2x Auto sensing 100 .. 240V VAC power supply 50/60 hz nominal on IEC connector < 130 w incl. 30 w PoE
- Storage temperature -4° F to +158° F (-20° C to +70° C)
- Operating temperature +32° F to +104° F (0° C to +40° C)
- Relative humidity <= 90% non-condensing
- Electromagnetic environment: E2 (EN55103-1,-2)
- Dimensions (H x W x D) 44mm (1 RU) x 481 mm (19“) x 458mm (18“)
- Weight 4.9kg (10.8lbs)
Subject to change without prior notice, no responsibility is taken for the correctness of the details provided.
Lawo V__link 4
The Lawo way to contribute production-quality video over IP networks. Watch the video